On July 7, 2020, Rotary Club of Americus held its first "in person" meeting since the pandemic. Since mid-March, the club has been meeting virtually and began its new year with a "changing of the guard". The 2019-20 President Rene Smith passed the gavel to Angela H. Smith who will lead the club as President for the 2020-21 year. The Americus Rotary Club is unique in that this will be the second time in club history that a husband and wife have both served as President -- Sybil and Don Smith both held the position; however, this is the first time that terms have immediately followed one another. "I'm thrilled to work alongside some amazing people to make a difference in the community and look forward to leading the club this year", stated A. Smith. "I have some big shoes to fill as Rene was an amazing president, but I hope that by being a part of his year and watching him lead so effectively, I will be better equipped for the role".
Rotary District 6900 Governor Kirk Driskell inducted Mrs. Smith and the 2020-21 Board of Directors. In addition to Mrs. Smith, Rotarians serving on the Board of Directors as officers and committee chairs are: Rene Smith (Director/Immediate Past President), Kenny Phillips (Director/President-Elect), Kathryn Moore (Director/Secretary), Susan Ruckman (Director/Treasurer), Qaijuan Willis (Director/Sergeant-At-Arms), Cindy Pryor (Director/Club Administration), Jay Anderson (Director/Membership Chair), Nicole Kirksey (Director/Public Image Chair), Steve Stanfield (Director), Daryl Brown (Director), Ivy Oliver (Program Chair), Brandi Lunneborg (Club Service Chair), and Reda Rowell (Rotary Foundation).
DG Kirk Driskell's wife Deena, Assistant District Governor Brenda Hodges-Tiller were special guests present for the event, as well as the Smith's former Georgia Rotary student Martin Bech who joined virtually to watch the ceremony from Denmark. The Rotary Club of Americus, chartered in 1918, was the 432nd club organized in the world and is proud to have served the community for over 100 years!
- Gavel pass from induction on 7/7/2020 (photo by Don Smith)
- A group shot of board members in attendance from 7/21/2020 meeting:(L-R): Daryl Brown, Jay Anderson, Qaijuan Willis, Kenny Phillips, Cindy Pryor, Steve Stanfield, Susan Ruckman, Angela Smith, Rene Smith, Nicole Kirksey. Not pictured: Kathryn Moore, Ivy Oliver (joined meeting online), Brandi Lunneborg, and Reda Rowell. (Photo by Don Smith)
- Americus Rotary's GRSP Martin Bech (2019-20) attended the meeting virtually from Denmark (photo by Kirk Driskell)
- DG Kirk and Deena Driskell, AG Brenda Hodges-Tiller, Rene and Angela Smith are masked up and ready for the new Rotary year! (photo by Kirk Driskell)
- Bulletin, Cart Bucket, Rotary Mask and Mask Up Sumter flyer (photo by Kirk Driskell)